View topic - Any reccomendation on a book of Canadian Canoe Routes?

It is currently July 21st, 2019, 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 16th, 2018, 12:31 am 

I am looking for a highly detailed book on Canadian Canoe Routes. Showing in detail historical portages and routes with distances, maps etc.

Any reccomendations?

Thanks!

PostPosted: February 16th, 2018, 2:38 am 

halliburton: Welcome to CCR!

What you're asking for ( i.e., a highly detailed book on Canadian Canoe Routes showing in detail historical portages and routes, maps etc.) would fill a wheelbarrow of currently available publications none of which could possibly be complete. It would help if you narrowed the scope of the area that you're interested in exploring. Meanwhile, I recommend you stay in touch with CCR . . . it's the best on-line source of canoe route information for all of Canada and even North America.

If your interest lies within Northwestern Ontario, I recommend the series of Wabakimi Canoe Route Maps that cover a large portion of the virtually-roadless wilderness of the Wabakimi Area. Information about these publications is available at: http://www.wabakimi.org.

Good luck with your trip planning!

PostPosted: February 16th, 2018, 9:04 am 

One not so small book covering some of Canada is Canoe Atlas of the Little North

PostPosted: February 16th, 2018, 7:33 pm 

Hmmm great comments thank you. I guess I will need a general book for Canada and a specific one for my region and there will not be one book on everything.

Thank you!

PostPosted: February 16th, 2018, 8:03 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Quote:
One not so small book covering some of Canada is Canoe Atlas of the Little North
Jon Berger's coffee table book has been one of the inspirations and a primary resource for The Wabakimi Project. He is booked as a guest speaker at the upcoming Wilderness Canoe Symposium in Toronto February 23-24.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2018, 9:28 pm 

Some people/areas are very protective/secretive of their routes.
:-?
Why I do not know, because somewhere on line someone is going to have the info.
If you were specific of the area someone here would be able to point you in the direction to get that info.
Canoe/paddle tripping has come back into the norm, which is a good thing.
There really are no secrets, no unknown routes, many have been done in the past.
Some just have not seen the traffic.
A perfect example is the Wabikimi project, not discovering, just updating the info of those who have traveled before.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: February 16th, 2018, 10:26 pm 

If you live in Haliburton you could start with a couple of Kevin Callan's books.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2018, 10:31 pm 

Kevin Callan and Hap Wilson are always a good place to start.
Happy Paddling.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2018, 8:15 am 

In addition to all of his other wonderful canoe guide books, Hap Wilson just released a new book documenting the historic route from Lake Superior to Manitoba.

As mentioned above, The Canoe Atlas Of The Little North is a fascinating resource.

As Phil noted, The Wanakimi Project maps are worth getting your hands on. The Wabakimi region is vast, and the map work done by The Wabakimi Project has been quite extensive.

Canoeing The Churchill by Marchildon and Robinson is the bible for anyone paddling the historic voyageur highway across northern Saskatchewan.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: February 19th, 2018, 10:14 pm 

While not quite what you are asking, Canoeing North into the unknown contains a fair bit of historical information, which could be further pursued to obtain what you are looking for.