View topic - Air Mattress Failure x 2!

It is currently July 21st, 2019, 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 1st, 2018, 11:37 pm 

There's a recent thread here on Exped Down pad leakage. I recounted there my deflation woes with the Windcatcher Airpad 2. A sad, sad story for sure, but to update it I thought it best to start a new thread. But warning: get out your handkerchiefs. I have two Windcatcher Airpad 2's that I've used interchangeably for two paddling seasons. In the aforementioned Exped thread I'd mentioned that one of my Windcatcher's had sprung a mysterious, but persistent, leak. The second one seemed ok. I just took the second mattress on a recent 6-night cool weather end-of-trout-season solo trip in APP. Same failure every night, same 2-3 hour total deflation time. One leaky mattress could be an exception. Two would be the rule. Three would be slightly embarrassing. Four, well, let's face it: stupid and masochistic. But to give myself some credit I did, after all, stop at just two. Goodbye forever, Windcatcher Airpad 2! Both of you! (Just imagine how good the "Airpad 1" must have been!) I'm going shopping. Three possibilities: a) the Klymit V Static b) Klymit V Static INSULATED and c) the MEC Vectair Insulated Sleeping pad. Any experience out there with these products?

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2018, 1:49 am 

Some leaks are less mysterious than others. I usually carefully clean up a spot for my tent. But on the first day of a nine-day kayak trip on the Rio Atengo in Mexico, we chose a campsite as the sun was going down and a rainstorm was blowing in, so I set up my tent in a big hurry. That night my Thermarest mattress went flat, and I didn't sleep very well. When I took down my tent in the morning, I discovered a stick with 5 cm thorns underneath it buried in the grass. I am not exaggerating the size of the thorns. Not much mystery about what happened. At our second camp I inflated the mattress, did a bubble test, located several holes, and patched them with duct tape. That night my mattress went flat again, and I didn't sleep very well. At our third camp I again did a bubble test and discovered that I had missed one hole by just a couple of millimeters. I slapped another piece of duct tape over the hole, and the mattress held air that night and for the rest of the trip. Being a lazy guy, I have never replaced the duct tape with a fancier patch, but the mattress still holds air perfectly.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2018, 7:41 am 

I went with a Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite, so that I never had to worry about leaks.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2018, 9:13 am 

Check for internal fill from the deflate valve blocking the flapper seal causing slow leakage on the Exped mats. Had this happen and caused a very slow leak that deflated over a couple of hours through the night.
May have to take a tooth pick and tuck it back into the mat so the Valve is clear of obstructions. Love my Exped for a comfortable good night sleep.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2018, 10:07 am 

I have 3 klymit static v mattresses for the kids. They love them and haven't managed to destroy one yet which is saying something especially for two 10 year old boys!

Personally I'll never leave home without my Megamat!