View topic - 10 Days Canoeing Lake Superior - Pukaskwa to Michipicoten

It is currently September 16th, 2019, 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 21st, 2019, 9:15 pm 

Superior, the world's largest freshwater lake and very much an inland sea. This powerful body of water is larger than the country of Austria and directly influences the climate of its surrounding landmass. Fog can envelop her shoreline for days on end and wicked storms can whip up waves over 10m in height, taking with them many a ship. In the summer of 2018, Leah and I spent an amazing 10 days canoeing the most remote coast in the Great Lakes - 220km of undeveloped, wilderness shoreline. We were moved by the lakes' rugged coastal mountains, boreal 'rainforests' and endless sandy beaches.

I have only written up a TR for days 1-6, but the main reason I'm posting is the trip video. I spent a solid month editing this up, so I really hope you enjoy! :D Runtime is 1hr, so grab some popcorn!

I'll edit the post with the remaining days once complete.

Days 1 & 2
https://www.explorethebackcountry.com/single-post/2018/11/30/Lake-Superior-Coastal-Canoe-Day-1-2---The-Departure

Days 3 & 4
https://www.explorethebackcountry.com/single-post/2018/12/01/Lake-Superior-Coastal-Canoe-Day-3-4---Windbound

Days 5 & 6
https://www.explorethebackcountry.com/single-post/2018/12/06/Lake-Superior-Coastal-Canoe-Day-5-6

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2019, 12:13 pm 

I watched the entire video IMMEDIATELY, luckily the boss is out of the office this afternoon lol.

Amazing shots, great editing! I can't wait to do this one myself!

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2019, 3:33 pm 

Watched yesterday during the premiere. Great TR. Stunning footage. That cascade falls site has gotta be one of the best canoe sites anywhere.

Was it nice to not be brushing overgrown portages and having lots of water for once? :lol:

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2019, 5:05 pm 

Cascade Falls is probably the most dangerous site to camp on if the winter weather has dumped boulders on the beach.. It is not easy to walk on round boulders. We found we needed to watch our footing and use trekking poles. It takes time to clear out a sand place for your tent.
Been there three times. One time was a joy and the other two a horror of piled up driftwood and boulders at the shore.. Not my fav site at all.

It looks wonderful from the water. It is beautiful . But be careful

oh yeah. We will be back.. Once is not enough.. twice is not enough

Last edited by littleredcanoe on March 22nd, 2019, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2019, 6:40 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Fantastic video Brad! Great job for a great trip.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2019, 10:15 am 

Yes, finally get to see what paddling rough water is like... very nicely done, and the sense of being there in the various scenes is real. The microclimate on the coast also made apparent and at the warmest time of the year. Thanks for bringing this in, looking forward to the remaining TRs.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2019, 7:22 pm 

Brad,
Thanks for posting this EXCELLENT video.
Below is a picture of the Dore River when we stopped by last September. It had been raining for a few days. As you can see, the water was really roaring over the falls.

Last edited by River Rodent on April 4th, 2019, 6:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2019, 3:43 pm 

Thanks for posting this one it was a great video to watch - and will likely watch again!
Niagara

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 9:55 am 

Thanks all! :D

@River Rodent The pic isn't showing up?

@littleredcanoe We had to clear a small area out, but it was definitely not as you described. Thankfully, we were clearly not the first ones there that year! I could certainly see how that could get nasty. The driftwood alone was massive!

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: April 29th, 2019, 5:45 am 

Nice. Just watched your video. Great water. Reminds me of Georgian Bay near my home - great cliffs, clear, cold water.

MT