View topic - Paddling and tripping post spinal fusion?

It is currently October 22nd, 2019, 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 25th, 2019, 6:09 pm 

Glad you are getting better . You made some difficult choices and looks like you took the right path .

PostPosted: April 25th, 2019, 10:51 pm 

Glad to hear the surgery went well and that you are well on your way to recovery. I'm hoping you can get out tripping soon because I really like your trip reports.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2019, 4:41 pm 

I had spinal fusion in 2008 in my L5. I had the procedure for different reasons than you claim. It did not correct my problem unfortunately. I hope that yours does. As for wilderness canoeing, it did not impact it very much. After 6 months post operation I was wilderness canoeing. I did buy a lighter weight canoe and was more careful not to overtax my ability. So, I would say have the procedure if you think it will help, and to not worry about it affecting your canoeing. I was 58 when I had my procedure and continued to canoe trip into my late 60’s. I have other issues now other than my back that cause me problems. Good luck. Jerry

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2019, 12:00 pm 

I've continued to improve and I had my 3 month follow up visit with the doc last week. They took more x-rays and said everything looks good. He told me at this point the fusion should be set and there is little chance of damaging it. He said I can start doing whatever I can tolerate. So I have been and it feels great to finally be doing something!

Been cutting up some downed trees and hauling logs to my sawmill (skid loader is doing the real work) and now I'm in the process of tearing down my rotten old garage to build a new shop in its place. I still have some pain and need to be careful about what I do but the last week has seen a lot of improvement with the increased mobility and no pain or soreness as a result.

I'm hoping by next spring to be as healed as I'm going to get and that I'll trust my back enough to start canoe tripping again.

Alan

PostPosted: July 5th, 2019, 10:12 pm 

I'm hoping by next spring to be as healed as I'm going to get and that I'll trust my back enough to start canoe tripping again.

excellent!