View topic - keto backcountry breakfast ideas?

It is currently August 19th, 2019, 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 12th, 2019, 8:24 pm 

Well, middle aged and gone keto...lost 15 lbs and that's a lot cheaper then buying my way through 15 lbs of lighter gear...Diet also did wonder's for my heart...Off the blood pressure meds now and have that whole situation under total control...

Anyhow, lunches and dinners (make my own dehydrated) have been pretty easy to "de-carb". But breakfast's are still proving to be difficult. Here's what I got so far but I'd love other keto- folks out there to chime in on possibilities...

Ova-Easy egg crystals - Available only through U.S. I buy them at REI. Egg powder that tastes like the real stuff. Rehydrate with self dehydrated veggies and a cheese stick and you have a wonderful omelette. Tastes great, filling, full of energy. Downsides are pan messy (one bowl to stir another frying pan and oil to cook) and a bit more fidgety than a boil and go.

MEC - Guacomole Powder - love this stuff. Add water and dip with coconut flour/psyllum husk tortillas readily made the night before. Can through in some rehydrated beef depending on how breakfast taco you want to go, or add in the ova-easy eggs for tasty keto breakfast wraps with a bit of hot sauce. Yum.

Nut based breakfast bar. This is a variation of the standard lunch energy bar. Various nuts and seeds held together with soaked chia seed, coconut oil and whatever flavors you want. Natural almond butter, cocoa, stevia, unsweetened chocolate, mint, toss in a dried crannberry or two. Requires no cooking, can make to caloric wants, tasty, no cooking. Cons, tastes too much like my lunch bar.

Coconut oil bullet proof coffee (or Ghee substitute), natural pepperoni sticks and cheese stick. Its easy, keeps a while, no cooking. I gotta learn how to make my own pepperoni sticks to reduce fillers and such. New project to think about there.

What else do you have?

Thanks...

Ken

PostPosted: May 13th, 2019, 5:22 am 

I've done almond flour with dried coconut and mix like oatmeal - can flavour it up with cinnamon, raisins or dark choc chunks. ready-fry bacon too and you can get low carb wraps - one wrap is 9 g net carbs which is not horrible and can pair with an omelette fillings, or Justins PB pouch and whatever you like.
Niagara

PostPosted: May 13th, 2019, 7:26 am 

Niagara 1 wrote:
I've done almond flour with dried coconut and mix like oatmeal - can flavour it up with cinnamon, raisins or dark choc chunks. ready-fry bacon too and you can get low carb wraps - one wrap is 9 g net carbs which is not horrible and can pair with an omelette fillings, or Justins PB pouch and whatever you like.
Niagara

Great ideas, thanks!

PostPosted: May 13th, 2019, 3:48 pm 

Triple cold smoked bacon.....we use it for our school club, comes in vacu packed slabs, lasts for seven or more days. Most european type delis make it.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2019, 12:55 am 

Tried some Birch Bender keto pancakes the other day and they weren't bad. Full disclosure, not a keto guy myself (yet) so they were swimming in some freshly made maple syrup.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2019, 2:34 pm 

I’m an Ova Easy egg fan as well. Bought my last batch at REI.

Hoosier Hill Farm makes a similar product, available in Canada via Amazon.ca.
https://www.amazon.ca/Hoosier-Hill-Farm ... ref=sr_1_2

PostPosted: May 14th, 2019, 7:01 pm 

Great stuff!

Somebody put me onto moon cheese in another forum which I want to check out as well!