View topic - Where to find permethrin in Canada?

It is currently September 18th, 2019, 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 7th, 2019, 10:21 pm 

Steve of London posted that the farm grade permethrin available in Canada has an 'el Stinko' element added, presumably to discourage human use. I wonder if the two that Brad Thomas and True_North posted are excessively stinky as well? Looks like a good option. Thanks!

PostPosted: June 8th, 2019, 6:27 am 

Realstone wrote:
Steve of London posted that the farm grade permethrin available in Canada has an 'el Stinko' element added, presumably to discourage human use. I wonder if the two that Brad Thomas and True_North posted are excessively stinky as well? Looks like a good option. Thanks!

I buy the Martins brand from the US and I can confirm it isn’t stinky. Image

PostPosted: June 8th, 2019, 8:23 am 

Realstone wrote:
Steve of London posted that the farm grade permethrin available in Canada has an 'el Stinko' element added, presumably to discourage human use...!

They're obviously not targeting trippers (we smelly).

PostPosted: June 8th, 2019, 1:25 pm 

was at Costco today and had a look at this:ortho mosquito bgonmax
its active ingredients are Pyrethrins ..20%
Piperonyl Butoxied 1%
Says it is a "fog", kills flies,mosquitoes, black flies, gnats. Air must be still and temp uder 32 C.
Have not had a chance to look it up...

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 8:19 pm 

cheryl wrote:
Piperonyl Butoxied 1%
Says it is a "fog", kills flies,mosquitoes, black flies, gnats. Air must be still and temp uder 32 C.
Definitely worth the drive to Newmarket.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2019, 7:21 pm 

I just buy the Ex-Officio bugs away clothes through amazon. They are permethrin treated already and are good for 70 washes (which works out to about 150 years for me :D ) .

Marks has also come out with their own line of permethrin treated clothing as well. Called "no fly zone"

Permethrin has been used by the US military for years to apparently no ill effect.

However it is apparently quite toxic to cats and fish. I tend to wear mine in the garden or woods around my house because of the prevalence of deer ticks (which have been found to carry lyme). If I am in an area with out lyme carrying deer ticks I stick to DEET.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2019, 9:56 pm 

I bought two bottles of Sawyer Permetherin spray from EMS online stateside. I didn't get charged duty.

The Germans? Scandinavians? Europeans did a study on Picaridin and it's highly toxic to salamanders in their embryonic stage. Salamanders breathe through their skin. I don't have the research paper reference at hand. Sorry.

found this The Royal Soc. Publishing

'We investigated the effects of environmentally realistic concentrations of commercial products containing DEET and picaridin on survivorship of mosquito larvae, and their potential indirect effects on survival of larval salamanders, a major predator of mosquito larvae. Larval mosquitos were not affected by exposure to repellents containing DEET or picaridin. We found no larval salamander mortality in control and DEET treatments, but mortality rates in picaridin treatments ranged from 45 to 65%'

PostPosted: June 24th, 2019, 12:17 pm 

very good comments on this thread. I have seen it at country nurseries etc, but have never tried it personally, but I might give it a shot on some of my clothing or light jackets.
My go to is a shirt and pants from the 'Original Bug Shirt Company' located in Trout Creek Ontario. Have been using the shirt and pants for around 13 years now. No sprays, very light and comfortable even on super hot days, just spray your exposed hands or use some gloves and you are good to go. Wash as much as you like, makes no difference, protects against all biting flies and insects, never had any issues no matter how thick the bugs have been. But this spray is definitely worth a check. My wife just got a Tilly style treated hat from Marks, so I will see this coming long weekend how well they stay off her head :D

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: July 17th, 2019, 1:55 am 

I've bought it last year at Walmarts in New York State... sawyers for clothes permethrin spray can.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2019, 5:52 pm 

true_north wrote:

Mark's Wearhouse has a selection of clothing treated with Burlington's proprietory No Fly Zone, a .51% permetrhin treatment.

https://www.marks.com/en/search.html?#l ... logy&lvp=1

Just bought a pair of No Fly Zone zip off pants on sale at Mark's for $45, shirts were $55.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2019, 3:04 pm 

ShawnD wrote:
I buy the Martins brand from the US and I can confirm it isn’t stinky. Image
A few years ago I bought the Martin's Permethrin from the US.
It had a noticeable unpleasant smell.
This smell subsided in a few days.
Neither black flies nor mosquitoes were landing on my shirt and pants treated with permethrin.
With such clothing the first time in my life I enjoyed June trip when both black flies and mosquitoes were present in large quantities.

I plan to buy ready to use brand name (REI etc.) permethrin next time I travel to the US.
Until then I will continue using whatever I have.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2019, 5:41 pm 

Realstone wrote:
cheryl wrote:
Piperonyl Butoxied 1%
Definitely worth the drive to Newmarket.

Please be careful. Permethrin is a pyrethrin (or pyrethroid) but not all pyrethrins are permethrin.