View topic - Algonquin Nipissing River - Question about White Water Rapid

It is currently July 10th, 2020, 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 20th, 2020, 2:01 pm 

Hi everyone,

I am organizing a 5 day canoe trip, in May, from Access 2 (Tim River) to Access 27 (Cedar Lake/Brent Access) following the Nipissing River from Loontail all the way through to Cedar lake. I am interested in hearing from people who have run this stretch of river that can comment on Allen Rapids or any other rapids or swifts along the route. I am curious to know if these are runnable and an approximate class rating? I have not been able to find this info online, but Kevin Callan does comment in one of his books that sections perhaps are possible to run?

My group is experienced and very comfortable with Class I-II. The goal of this trip is NOT white water, but if there is a bit we may choose to rent our canoes differently (Royalite vs an ultra light kevlar). Any help is much appreciated, and if anyone has photos, that would be fantastic!

Thank you,

- Kyle.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2020, 11:19 am 

We ran the river until just past high falls where we turned south through whiskeyjack. IIRC most of the rapids were very bony, not much flow type. We did bump and grind and walk through many of them, but in the end the portage is probably just as fast, and way easier on the canoe. We went opening weekend, so water was as high as you could likely expect. I'd definitely stick with the lightweight canoe, and make your decision to SLW or portage or a combination as you come to each rapid.

Its a beautiful, quiet part of the park, enjoy!

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2020, 12:52 pm 

Hi sbaillie,

I really appreciate the reply - thanks for your input! I think that unless we hear differently, we will likely stick with the lighter canoes.