View topic - Tents with a silicon fly?

It is currently October 19th, 2020, 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 8:06 pm 

After my MSR tent fly disintegrated in a season I got a replacement under warranty. The new fly still isn't particularly waterproof and they flipped a door on the newer model so the fly and inner tent doors don't line up. I admit it is the cheaper line that only has a polyurethane coating on it but I still expected more. MSR also seemed to be having issues with the way they were making their flies and have since changed their manufacturing process - but till it's proven I'm done with their tents.

I'm looking for a new tent now but want something with silicon on both sides of the fly (sil/sil). The only tent I've found that is available in Canada with a sil/sil fly is the Mountain Hardware Aspect. I'm wary of the way they're attaching the tent to the poles though - everyone seems to be in a race to make the lightest tent and leaving solid construction behind.

Outside of Canada, Hilleberg, Fjallraven, Vaude etc all make tents with sil/sil flies. They're expensive tents to begin with but with the exchange rate and possibility of 18% duty the price gets ridiculous.

From what I've found, it seems like tents in Canada need to have a fire retardant coating and that coating can be mixed with PU but not silicon - hence all tents in Canada having one layer of PU on the fly. But with the one Mountain Hardware tent being available I wonder if this has changed or if more are available.

We're after either 3 person, or a 2 person with a big vestibule for a dog to sleep in - if anyone has any suggestions.

The Big Agnes Copper Spur HV3 is top of the list right now but it's not really what we want. If buying from outside Canada we'd likely go for a Fjallraven Abisko Shape 2 or Vaude Hogan SUL XT 2-3P.

Opinions on freestanding vs tunnel designs are welcome as well

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 12:50 am 

Quote:
everyone seems to be in a race to make the lightest tent and leaving solid construction behind.

Totally agree!

Quote:
Opinions on freestanding vs tunnel designs are welcome as well

Personally I wouldn't touch a non-freestanding tent although I really do like the interior space and wind resistance of a tunnel design.

Too much of the time I am camping on open rock or sand, tie-outs are difficult and pegs near useless. My older Marmot tent (other than the holes in the floor) stays dry without a single peg, I've noticed that some of the newer Marmots including freestanding models now require a few pegs for the fly if you want to stay fully dry.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 5:02 am 

I have a Tarptent Scarp II with which I am particularly smitten. I have the optional crossing-poles which would allow for a free-standing pitch. Like the Hille, it pitches with the fly attached. You can also either totally or partially detach the inner tent from the fly while it is pitched, allowing you to create a floorless area, sized to your liking. And it's made in the US (no duty).

Edit: not sure about the sil/sil, though.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 11:42 am 

Prety sure MSR has Sil Nylon flies on all Hubba tents. The Hubba series is very thin and you can't be rough with them but they're very packable and weather durable. I use the fitted groundsheets on my Hubba and Papa Hubba then use an inner groundsheet on the Papa Hubba to protect it from dog claws.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 2:16 pm 

I’ve been pleased with my Hilleberg. Bought from the USA site.

It’s my first tunnel tent and I’d get another one.

I’m also a free standing tent fan but have adapted to the tunnel style that requires staking out of the doors/ends.

Of course, they make non tunnel, free standing tents, which I’ve also used and liked. Tunnel tents offer very good weight to size ratio.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 3:09 pm 

recped wrote:
Personally I wouldn't touch a non-freestanding tent although I really do like the interior space and wind resistance of a tunnel design.

Too much of the time I am camping on open rock or sand, tie-outs are difficult and pegs near useless. My older Marmot tent (other than the holes in the floor) stays dry without a single peg, I've noticed that some of the newer Marmots including freestanding models now require a few pegs for the fly if you want to stay fully dry.

Yeah most tents seem to at least need a couple pegs to keep the vestibule out. I suggest making a few deadmans for the sand. I use a 1sq.ft. piece of fabric with a loop of cord ran through each side. You can burry them in the sand or rocks and have a super solid anchor point. I made mine from light ripstop too so there's basically no extra weight or bulk.

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
Pretty sure MSR has Sil Nylon flies on all Hubba tents.

Yeah most companies' use a sil/PU coating on their higher end backpacking tents. The silicon improves tear strength which lets them use lighter fabric. I'm just at the point where I'm willing to spend a little more on a good tent that I'll keep for quite a while. So if I'm going to spend money I want good quality. The fire retardant in the PU also off-gasses which isn't good for you and just stinks anyway. If I can't find anything that's sil/sil there are a few decent sil/PU options in Canada.

Paddle Power wrote:
I’m also a free standing tent fan but have adapted to the tunnel style that requires staking out of the doors/ends.

The staking out is what kinda worries me but like you say - you just get used to it and figure out how to do it in different situations.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 5:51 pm 

brappinburro wrote:
The staking out is what kinda worries me but like you say - you just get used to it and figure out how to do it in different situations.

I had a Hilleberg Akto for one season and sold it for the MSR Hubba. The quality and durability of the Hilleberg is great. I did not like the non-freestanding design for my use. I use the solo tent for spring whitewater trips and the eability to set up anywhere and quickly is worth a lot to me. I used more rocks to set up my Akto than the other tents combinedand it took a lot more time to set it up.

For the two/three person tent you're looking for, something like the Hilliberg Nallo or Anjan would be worth the $$. The thing about non-freestanding tents, is that bigger tents aren't necessarily any more work than a solo tent. If you and a partner get to camp, one person starts supper and the other sets up the tent then it doesn't matter that it takes an extra 10-20 minutes to find suitable rocks to guy out.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 6:25 pm 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
I use the solo tent for spring whitewater trips and the eability to set up anywhere and quickly is worth a lot to me.

It was raining, darkness was fast approaching, by the time I got to the fly I needed a headlamp to keep from slipping off into the river. No pegs, No guy lines, fly attaches with buckles and works even if the vestibule isn't staked out (normally needs one peg).

This campsite was so "great" I stayed for 36 hours :rofl:

Water levels came up during the first night, the corner that is "in the river" was just a bit damp when I set it up, on the second night the water rose higher, the waves made the floor of the tent move up and down and because it is a "well used" tent there are some leaks in the floor, holes which on flat ground don't leak but in this case there was plenty of water coming in and collecting in the low corner

Attachment:
camp_rating_F.jpg

Attachment:
camp_rating_F_detail.jpg

Marmot - Sanctum (2 person / 3 season), discontinued model from the early 2000's, sadly Marmot have pretty much gone all "ultralight".

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 7:23 pm 

recped wrote:
It was raining, darkness was fast approaching, by the time I got to the fly I needed a headlamp to keep from slipping off into the river. No pegs, No guy lines, fly attaches with buckles and works even if the vestibule isn't staked out (normally needs one peg).

This campsite was so "great" I stayed for 36 hours :rofl:

Water levels came up during the first night, the corner that is "in the river" was just a bit damp when I set it up, on the second night the water rose higher, the waves made the floor of the tent move up and down and because it is a "well used" tent there are some leaks in the floor, holes which on flat ground don't leak but in this case there was plenty of water coming in and collecting in the low corner

Attachment:
camp_rating_F.jpg

Attachment:
camp_rating_F_detail.jpg

Marmot - Sanctum (2 person / 3 season), discontinued model from the early 2000's, sadly Marmot have pretty much gone all "ultralight".

This is awesome!

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 7:51 pm 

Getting back to the main topic (sort of), I'm a big fan of large single wall floorless shelters, generally made from PU coated polyester, I'd love to see one of these made from a "sil" material.

This leads me to another question, I looked around a year ago and found manufacturers in China of Sil-Polyester, more expensive than Sil-Nylon but I wonder why gear manufacturers don't use it. Sil-Nylon usually has added UV inhibitors but I doubt they compare with regular polyester. Seems to me sil-poly would be the best thing for tent-flys or tarps that get a lot of UV exposure.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2020, 8:48 am 

recped wrote:
Getting back to the main topic (sort of), I'm a big fan of large single wall floorless shelters, generally made from PU coated polyester, I'd love to see one of these made from a "sil" material.

I wonder if Dan Cooke has made one (prototype). He sells leans and winter shelters made from sil-nylon. He may have experimented with something more tent like.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2020, 8:56 am 

recped wrote:
[...]

This leads me to another question, I looked around a year ago and found manufacturers in China of Sil-Polyester, more expensive than Sil-Nylon but I wonder why gear manufacturers don't use it. Sil-Nylon usually has added UV inhibitors but I doubt they compare with regular polyester. Seems to me sil-poly would be the best thing for tent-flys or tarps that get a lot of UV exposure.

Hilleberg used to have them for some time, but possibly they didn't sell well enough?
They are a bit heavier and noisier (in winds) and not as strong as sil-nylon.

More technical info here:
http://cookecustomsewing.com/tundratarpinformation.htm

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2020, 2:56 pm 

I agree: “I'm a big fan of large single wall floorless shelters, generally made from PU coated polyester, I'd love to see one of these made from a "sil" material.”

Cooke Custom Sewing, a wealth of knowledge and solid lineup of products.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2020, 3:35 pm 

Dan makes quality stuff for sure but none of his stock designs are suitable for my needs/wishes.

I don't think I have the money to pay for a custom job that would be to my liking.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2020, 9:47 pm 

recped wrote:
It was raining, darkness was fast approaching...

:o that's a nice spot haha a free standing tent would definitely be desired then! Some of the tunnel tents have really water proof floors which would also be desired.