View topic - Missinaibi P.P. Q

It is currently October 19th, 2020, 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Missinaibi P.P. Q
PostPosted: May 24th, 2020, 1:19 pm 

Does anyone want to suggest a great site at the P.P.?
If you had 4-5 days out of the campground, where would you go?
Is there interior canoe camping anywhere on L. Missiaibi. or surrounding lakes to make a trip out of?
Once vehicle and 2 people. Not sure we can arrange s shuttle in early Aug. if we paddled up to Peterbell and then took the train back down to Folyet? Oh yeah, I guess Via is not running?

Post subject: Re: Missinaibi P.P. Q
PostPosted: May 24th, 2020, 1:41 pm 

There's plenty of interior sites on the lake and surrounding lakes, Little Missinaibi can be quite nice (or is it Lower Missinaibi?). Many of them are quite spacious. The best sites at the campground are generally the ones by the dock, but there's fewer people if you go down the road a bit, although those sites are almost full shade all the time, a bit too dark for my liking. The sites by the dock tend to fill up quickly, though.

I think Missinaibi P.P. is on the Parks reservation system for the first time this year.

I also suggest getting a copy of "Missinaibi: Journey To The Northern Sky" by Hap Wilson. It covers a lot more than you'll need, but has great maps and descriptions of the lake and sites, and the surrounding area. It's a good read regardless.

A note of caution, though... the waves can easily reach 2 feet on Missinaibi Lake, in as little as a 15kmh wind. It's 30km long or so, and in the direction of the prevailing winds.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2020, 1:51 pm 

Thanks, Packetfiend. Have the book, will dig it out, thanks for the reminder. Do you have a route or sites you would recommend after launching?

PostPosted: May 24th, 2020, 2:08 pm 

I've stayed there on canoe trips only twice while passing through the lake. I've never been through South or Baltic bay. Once was beside Whitefish Falls. That was a beautiful site and the falls are breathtaking, but it was a bit dark and buggy. The falls are a bit loud if you're trying to sleep, but if you like that kind of white noise it would be awesome. The other time I stayed at the campground and the superintendent let me use my interior permit for that. I do remember a couple of really nice interior sites on the north shore of Barclay Bay somewhere between Fairy Point and the campground. We shared a meal with a group base camping there on one trip. They had cold beer, and we'd been carrying a real peppermill for weeks so had fresh pepper. It was a match made in heaven. This was 20 years ago, mind you.

The interior sites nearest the campground get filled up quicker by motorboat base campers, you may have better luck further down, or in Baltic or South Bay. I went up there a couple of years ago with my fishing boat, intending to check out and document as many interior sites as possible, but I was windbound the whole time. Almost swamped that 14' tin can. The campground itself is frequented by the same people every year, who have formed a kind of summer community. People keep coming back there for a reason.

Oh if you do go up there, take the Sultan shortcut, it starts at the Watershed on Hwy 144, goes through the Spanish forest, and ends quite near Wakami P.P. In 2013 we drove it in a Saturn Ion, it's very well maintained.

edit: That site where we shared a meal, it must have been between Fairy Point and Whitefish Falls; we stopped for the night at the falls, and had that shared meal before that. It was a huge site, and it looks like it's pretty far from the campground. It's funny how some things can tickle your memory like that. If I can find my copy of Hap Wilson's book I'll update this post with a more precise location.

edit 2: Well geez, thanks. I figured out I lost that book. I brought it to the Outdoor Adventure & Travel show with the hope of getting it autographed, and that was apparently the last time I saw it. New one is on order. I do have the Chrismar maps of the park, though. There are three sites on the north shore of Barclay Bay roughly across from Whitefish Falls, it was one of them. The Whitefish Falls site, though, is reserved for canoeists. Stinky noisy motorboats are non grata there. Hap Wilson's book should tell you which of those sites are biggest - look for the biggest one. If they're all occupied or undesirable and Whitefish Falls is taken, there's another site reserved for canoeists at Red Granite Point, south of the portage from Crooked Lake.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2020, 8:31 pm 

Here's another option - if water levels are low, there's a shallows at the northeast end of Barclay Bay that can stop motorboats. When I was there in 2000 or so at the end of August, the water was six inches deep there.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by PacketFiend on May 24th, 2020, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2020, 8:52 pm 

You should paddle down to the cliffs at Fairy Point and see if you can find the pictographs, right around the point there is a very nice island campsite (bring your own firewood).

PostPosted: May 24th, 2020, 11:12 pm 

recped wrote:
You should paddle down to the cliffs at Fairy Point and see if you can find the pictographs, right around the point there is a very nice island campsite (bring your own firewood).

I'll repeat my previous note of caution - Fairy Point is infamous for drowning boats and people. Yours wouldn't be the first boat resting at the bottom, and you wouldn't be the first person to sleep with the fishes down there. The water is 300 feet deep, and they'll likely never even find a body to bring home. It doesn't matter which way the wind blows, at Fairy Point all the waves interfere. 6 foot waves are not unheard of there. On my second trip I made the stupid decision to revisit Fairy Point in high winds. When I was in a wave trough, the peaks were at head level, 10 feet (okay, 50) from shore. I was barely able to beach the boat. I got fully and properly afraid, and I got lucky. And I had a very stable boat.

If you get the chance though, see it, absolutely. It's quite a sight. On my first trip through the park, the water was glass.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2020, 5:54 pm 

I have the 1994 version of Missinaibi Journey to the Northern Sky by Hap, and although it the Liss Miss Circle Route and the Little Miss. river, it does not have any info on Miss. P.P.

Also, some sites have a "P3": and some do not, but not sure what a P3 is? (thunderbox? bear bin?) See it on the park description guide from 2006.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2020, 1:43 am 

Can you post a link? I can't find the description you're referring to. Somehow this P3 business rings a bell...

PostPosted: May 26th, 2020, 7:26 am 

I didn't find anything in a search, and the only ref. I have is in the park booklet I picked up back in 2006. . ON the site descriptions it says " Firepit, picnic table and P3", however, there are 7 sites without the P3 these.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2020, 4:30 pm 

Well I'm stumped. I'm assuming it's not bear bins if you're seeing that in the campground, as every site has one as far as I know. Maybe the sites around the dock don't have bear bins? They're generally close enough to create a large enough gathering of people that bears wouldn't be a problem. It can't be thunderboxes in the campground, because no sites have those.

And it could be either if you're seeing that on the interior sites. I do recall thunderboxes in the interior, but not bear bins. That was before the fatal attack in 2005 though.

Maybe "partially private privy", or "site built with public-private partnership"?

Best to call the park directly I think.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2020, 6:39 pm 

The P3 was only on the interior sites.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2020, 10:50 pm 

P3 means portable, portage-able, privy. Could be similar to "thunder boxes".

I have 10 of them on campsites between the Michipicoten River and Pukaskwa National Park on Lake Superior. They are also used in Lake Superior Provincial Park and many other Provincial Parks.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 10:34 am 

Yah, figured that was it. It was just odd that the they were only on some site. Finally got ahold of new information, and now all sites have them.