View topic - Defective Bear Bangers

It is currently September 30th, 2020, 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Defective Bear Bangers
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 12:10 am 

So today was Canada Day. I decided ti was a good day to test bear bangers... and it was not a good day for bear bangers.

Without mentioning names - I had a few charges from retailer A, and a few charges from retailer B. Retailer A is a well known outdoors retailer in the GTA, and retailer B is the outfitter we stocked up on bear bangers with last year and rented some canoes from.

Today I tested some bear bangers amongst all the Canada Day noise. Well - all the bangers from retailer B failed. All of them were duds. But all the bangers from retailer A fired successfully.

So what is the difference between bear banger manufacturers? Today I learned there is a HUGE difference - all the bangers from one place worked, and all the bangers from another place failed. And I did this with multiple launchers.

This has drastically shaken my faith in bear bangers. I am no longer certain that they will, indeed, actually fire. I mean, three test launches, and ALL OF THEM FAILED. Three test launches from their competition, and ALL OF THEM WORKED.

So can anyone recommend a brand of bear bangers that will fire, every time, without fail, assuming I have stored them properly for a couple of years?

(Yes, I have written an angry email to retailer B, and I will name them if they do not make this right. They sold me faulty, explosive lifesaving gear, that failed)

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 5:06 am 

Interesting, I have never had one fail. I have only used one kind, Tru Flare, but they go bang every time.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 7:56 am 

Yeah... that's something you would want to be sure about. Reputable brand.

Wouldn't buy used either...

Quote:
For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 8:42 am 

:-? :x Not to worry---"B" would prob have refunded your $ if a bear had attacked!!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 10:39 am 

I've never had a banger fail. But I have come across two types - rim fire and centre fire - neither of which will work with the others launcher. Were these the same type?

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 11:28 am 

Back in the days before the gravy train turned into the misery train, MNR used to lend us their bear banger kit for the school trips. It was a pistol platform, and had bangers and screamers. The screamers were kind of cool, but not very useful for bears. I got the pen set up when MNR could no longer afford to lend us the banger anymore. I usually went through a pack on each trip with the kids, because I would let the Senior kids to use it at least once. We only fired it at bears a handful of times, but it produced the desired effect.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 2:10 pm 

jmc wrote:
I've never had a banger fail. But I have come across two types - rim fire and centre fire - neither of which will work with the others launcher. Were these the same type?

Given that one of the defective bangers did ignite the propulsion charge, I assume so. It's just that the payload then just... fell off the pen - the whole thing. Usually the casing stays on the pen. On this one, it cracked and fell apart.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 2:56 pm 

PacketFiend wrote:
jmc wrote:
fell off the pen - the whole thing. Usually the casing stays on the pen. On this one, it cracked and fell apart.

That's not gone well has it? :o

I carried bangers in a cruise vest for 10 years of field work, many times wet from rain, and tips, and dips.. never had one not fire when I needed it..

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 9:57 pm 

I have had rim fires fail more than once and only carry centre fire ones now...never had a centre fire fail yet.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 6:15 am 

I've had my bangers for over 20 years. They came in a pack of 6, I've fired two off at bears at some point. The other four have been wet hundreds of times. Fired one off last year to see if it still worked. It did. Pretty sure they are the centre fire type.

rab

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 9:40 am 

Ummmm. did you take the little plastic caps off the ends ?

sorry, couldn't resist.

MikeD.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 11:58 am 

Ah! I was wondering why I had to use a hammer to jam those things in there!

PostPosted: July 7th, 2020, 1:35 pm 

Hopefully this isn't too off topic...

I've used my voice to scare bears away at least a dozen times and have been successful except for one time. On that occasion no amount of yelling, rock throwing or pot banging had any effect. I was hunting at the time, so I fired off a round from my rifle into the ground to scare the bear away, but to my surprise he didn't even flinch. It had literally zero effect. At that moment I wondered why I take bear bangers on canoe trips.

Has anyone had an experience where you couldn't get a bear to leave by yelling at it, but a bear banger convinced it to take off? Did the bear come back?

PostPosted: July 7th, 2020, 11:53 pm 

Kipawa -

I can recall two such occasions. In one, I encountered a (black) bear while blazing a portage. Initially yelling drove it off, but it circled back and further yelling - very rude yelling, too - had no effect. But a banger convinced it to leave. In the other, no amount of yelling or paddle banging would move a large black bear who seemed determined to nap just where I needed to land for a portage. But a couple of bangers convinced him to move on. He didn't run - it was more like he just accepted he'd never get to sleep with this going on - but he didn't come back. So I think bangers can be a useful supplement to yelling, but would never take them as my only form of bear protection.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2020, 11:16 pm 

I did once have a bear run off with my food pack, and I didn't have bear bangers with me at the time, nor any other means of bear defense (chalk it up to the "invincibility" and naivete of youth). I chased after it with a paddle (ditto), yelling and screaming at it, but it did not abandon my food as I had hoped. It just ran away faster with my food.

In hindsight, I will assume that a bear banger would have had a similar effect, or lack thereof.

Now a bear that refuses to move no matter what, and have a rifle with me? I'm not too ashamed to admit that the thought of simply shooting it would have crossed my mind. It may leave me alone, but perhaps not the next person, and I don't want that behavior taught to cubs.

And I still haven't heard back from the retailer that sold me those defective bear bangers.