View topic - Hammock camping along the Yukon?

It is currently September 22nd, 2020, 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 12:10 am 

Heading down to run the Yukon River from Carmacks to Dawson City in August. I'm typically a hammock camper and would love to avoid bringing a back-up tent. How feasible is that? Need decent trees to pull it off, and was worried I might be stuck on shores instead of in forested sections. Thanks!

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 9:16 am 

You will be able to use the hammock.... sometimes. Camping at Ft Selkirk is a joy but there are no trees where the camping area is.. There is forest nearby but it is also a FN reserve and I doubt you will be welcome to camp near the spirit houses ( they are in the forest)

We had two nights of gravel bar camping; so there were no trees there either. We had to use them as the campsites in the area were occupied already.

We camped at Kirkman Creek where there are no trees too.It used to be a bakery in the middle of nowhere but I am not sure it still exists.

Nothing says you have to use a designated campsite but often access is a whole lot easier if you do as the banks are lined with dead trees from floods in most areas. We also found that if you poke around in the woods it is buggy.

Since there are no portages you might consider bringing just a tent. It is only a four day trip.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 2:09 pm 

Thanks littlered, this is what I figured! But since I can't use a hammock *all* the time, I'll probably default to only bringing a tent - save some weight on the flight out.

Also I've been told to prepare for an 8-day trip from Carmacks to Dawson. Were you just motoring or what?

Andrew

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 4:55 pm 

During the Yukon 1000 mile races, we were required to carry enough tent space with enough capacity for the entire team (up to 6 or more paddlers in a voyageur canoe). Hammocks were not allowed. I too am a committed hammock camper back home in the Adirondacks, but when we started looking for camping spots on the Yukon, we always pushed the time to our maximum allowed daily pumpkin drop dead time ( 23:15) each "night" with a six hour required minimum rest stay, and we took whatever gravel bar we were at near that time. Rarely did the area have any suitable hammock trees. Granted, if you know in advance and can leisurely pick your campsite, you may find a couple or more sturdy trees. As I recall, only once during our six nights on the river (during each of our two Y1K races) did we happen at the right time by chance be near the public Nation Bluff Cabin where there were could be some possible hammock trees to use. But I wouldn't count on it when ever and where ever you absolutely need to stop.

Kirkman creek used to be a mandatory 3 hour rest stop on the shorter YRQ race. I believe the race officials contracted with the owners. We would get a sandwich and soup and cookie as part of our entry fee. A welcome outhouse too, and a buggy overhead tarp shelter to lay out a sleeping bag on the grass for a couple of hours. If you wanted something else, like a burger or whatever, it was much $$$. That stopping place ended around 2012 for unknown reasons, and another was set up at a random clearing a few miles downstream near Coffee Creek, but without the extra costly available options. The thousand mile race has no specific designated mandatory stopping or rest locations.

Last edited by nessmuk on July 4th, 2020, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 11:25 pm 

thanks nessmuk!

PostPosted: July 4th, 2020, 7:54 am 

atgodfrey wrote:
Thanks littlered, this is what I figured! But since I can't use a hammock *all* the time, I'll probably default to only bringing a tent - save some weight on the flight out.

Also I've been told to prepare for an 8-day trip from Carmacks to Dawson. Were you just motoring or what?

Andrew

Oh no.. We started from Johnson's Crossing on the Teslin and went through Carmacks to Dawson City on a leisurely paddle with guidebook in hand. We mad a lot of stops to visit historical sites.

We paddled about four tosix hours a day. I looked over logs ; we camped five days on your intended stretch. Our total journey from the Alaska Highway to Johnsons Crossing was ten days.

Eight days ; if you do alot of woods snooping it is possible but the current is about 10 km an hour so plan ahead. It is very easy to do upwards of 80 km a day. I see a 13 day tour listed and wonder just how they do that. Backpaddle?

PostPosted: July 4th, 2020, 1:38 pm 

YRQ paddlers take just a bit over 24 hours to make that trip from Carmacks to Dawson, unfortunately only getting a brief taste of what the river has to offer. One of these days I'd like to take a much more leisurely float trip so I can photograph all the wonders I only have seen in a flash. The couple of miles of "faces of the Yukon" rock ledges just downstream from Fort Selkirk on river right are especially impressive, but maybe the faces are only seen under conditions of severe lack of sleep and fatigue. I have seen many cartoonish caricatures in the shadows and light of the natural rock formations, even including a full profile of Albert Einstein, complete with wing tip shoes. By way of a satisfying confirmation, a local Dawson artist has produced artwork of paddlers under the gaze of similar faces in the rocks.
Hoodoo talus slopes make good resemblances of lumberjacks with toques and long flowing beards. Any photos I do have now that we are home and rested require quite a bit of imagination to see what I thought I saw from my canoe. My fellow voyageur team paddlers would make a game out of who sees what.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 4:56 pm 

"Also I've been told to prepare for an 8-day trip from Carmacks to Dawson. Were you just motoring or what?"

I did the Yukon from mile 7 (above Whitehorse) to Dawson in 13 days. Could have done it in less time if I wanted to do longer days. typically I was averaging about 7 mph

the lower down I got, I'd say the less likely you would be able to hammock camp

below is a link to my trip report with pics - scroll down to Fort Selkirk pic and past to see some of the campsites I used and the terrain

camped at Carmacks on day 6

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HUe ... sp=sharing