View topic - Thunderbox / Privy Plans

It is currently October 16th, 2019, 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you dread having to use the Thunderbox?
Absolutely. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It isn't so bad 45%  45%  [ 28 ]
I rather enjoy it. 55%  55%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 62
 Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2003, 9:03 pm 

John this is the very point my girlfriend raised as she held it over the Ink lake portage all the way to MacIntosh. Why arent there any? Only the Joe lake portage has them ( actually vault toilets), as far as I have seen. Perhaps with the plans you have gotten, you could take the initiative and build a few squares for us all, I know my girlfriend would love you for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2003, 9:14 pm 

I have built one for the Chiniguchi (unorganized) area but I think it would be harder to just build something, without getting in trouble, in somewhere like Algonquin without prior consent. Maybe someone here knows someone from "Friends" groups that can influence them enough to consider it. Up to 5 pages now. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2003, 3:54 pm 

Gochay,
I moved to Canada because I married a Canadian and she did not want to live in the U.S. and she is a Mama’s girl being the only girl with three brothers. So I moved here. I really id not much different than most of the U.S. as long as you do not compare The GTA to the large cities in the U.S. Small town and the rural areas of the U.S. are much different than the large cities such as New York, Boston, Philly, Detroit etc.
Bill

John Leonard,
I agree with you on the waste at portages. Also, the litter at the put in and takeout areas is also bad. I seems that some people get the munchies and do not know what to do with their garbage, so they do what they do in the cities and throw it on the ground. What a mess at some portages.
If you take to the Friends of Algonquin and donate the money to make the thunderboxes or you make them and have them ready for assembly ( 4 sides ready to assemble and the to ready with a seat they will place them where you ask or where they think is the most needed place. You can tell them you want them on this portage or that campsite and they will try to put them there.
Bill

Post subject: Thunder Box
PostPosted: August 12th, 2003, 10:41 am 

Just did a trip on Poker Lake Aug.8th. and installed a breakdown privy on the 3rd campsite on Bentshoe Lake. Also gathered garbage from the parking lot left buy fellow camper.If everyone did just one act of enviromental clean-up,our back woods campsites would be a much better place to enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 12th, 2003, 3:35 pm 

Rockie,
I agree! Unfortunately many do not see it that way. Unfortunately we should not have to. People should not be throwing garbage anywhere, but if you see it pick it up.
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 12th, 2003, 4:34 pm 

I agree aswell. I always pick up the odd trash I come across while tripping 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2003, 6:52 pm 

Bump. I have received a few requests for plans but do not yet have an electronic version. If those people would send me a message with address I would like to still send it. Has anyone heard about "the PETT, short for Portable Environmental Toilet." I saw something about it on a link from "no fish in temagami". Where could someone find info?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2003, 8:54 am 

Does anyone know if you are allowed to dig new holes for privy boxes in Algonquin. We would have dug a new hole at our campsite, because it was pretty full, but weren't sure of the regulations other than distance and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2003, 10:13 am 

I would think not. There is likely a campsite management plan, where work like that is scheduled, maybe............?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 4th, 2004, 1:19 pm 

Ok, where the heck are the plans!!!! I just skimmed through this grey-water of a post to find an absence of plans.

Please help, someone, I need to build one this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 4th, 2004, 10:20 pm 

I believe I still have a copy somwhere amongst all this
S@#T! I happen to have around....maps, gear list, food list....

If you like, send me a PM with your address and such and I can send them ( 11"by17" papers ) to you.

If someone can scan them, or did, maybe we could get Richard to link them to the DIY section(s) for others to make?!

ANyrate , I'm sure I have a copy to send out if you want, but, it might not get there by this weekend.........

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5th, 2004, 7:01 pm 

We moved and I can't find the paper plans. When I do I will make a scan/file for sharing but who knows when. JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5th, 2004, 10:23 pm 
http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... 9294#69294

there is where i put the Text View for anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5th, 2004, 10:26 pm 

If someone gets them to me I'll scan and post them on the site as a permanent link

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5th, 2004, 10:34 pm 

I'll send them to you, Richard.

In the mail tomorrow AM.

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next