View topic - food glorious food

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 8th, 2001, 5:07 pm 

I am about to embark on my first over 6 day trip and was wondering if anyone had some feedback on a couple of food and route facts.
1. How long in a standard blue barrel foodpack can i expect the folllowing to last

a) cheeses, what cheese (other than fresh parmesan) lasts longest and how long do the big 3 cheddar, mozzarella and gouda(edam) last and is there a difference between hard and soft cheeses.
b) veggies- what lasts longest, how long do celery, carrots, green beans, kohlrahbi and peppers last. Any tips on extending their life.
c) meats- sometimes life or death can hang on this answer. Generally day 2 i'm done with the major meats of beef chicken or pork. I beleive this is sound but how long can you expect sausages to be good for? or things like cheddar smokies or hot dogs or veggie dogs?
d) fruits- such as lemaons or oranges, I already know abot apples.
2) Thanks to the many who posted on the problems at moose factory.The six of us have decided to go only from Lake Missinaibi to Mattice rather than the other section because we are going at the end of july early august. How are the water levels on the upper part of the missinaibi, I've read haps book but alot of this seems water dependant.
3) Any good day 5 through day 9 recipes out there, I have some pretty good ideas but I would like any input you may have before I finalize everything. Warning most of the group hates the dried 12.00 dollar packaged crap so inovation is key. Hows the fishing????

DISCLAIMER when answering please accept my thanks in advance. When answering food questions please keep in mind that veggies or other food in general I consider long gone a little before it starts looking like a rabid wolverine's mouth! ie. if I have to scrape alot of it away I'm not interested.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10th, 2001, 4:58 pm 

we have had all types of cheese last 3 weeks or longer if we wrap it in cheese cloth soaked in vinegar and then bagged, or cut it into chuncks, wrap it in twine and then dip in parrafin.

Here is a good new soup we discovered by accident: take PC black bean dip, and rehydrate it in slightly too much hot water in a zip lock. Add to it your dried salsa, so the same rehydration. Mix together (looks gross until you do), and then water down to a thick soup. Spicy and absolutely delicious. A nice accent would be grated cheese, or toasted tortilla pieces.

We normally have the black bean dip and salsa spread on the torillas (and that is good), but on this trip I added too much water. When we pulled it out for an in the boat lunch, we found we had soup. Mixed it in 2 bowl, and we had a delicious lunch. 1 package beans and one 750 ml jar salsa dried would feed 4.

We normally take kolbassa, and it lasts 5 - 6 days. We took a vacuum bagged beef smoked sausage this time (cut in half and re-vacuum bagged) and after a week it had gone mouldy. Our totillas delaminated after 2 weeks too, but it could have been that we had been in rain for the first 5 days, and the barrel was damp.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cheryl on 2001-07-10 18:01 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10th, 2001, 5:03 pm 

we have had all types of cheese last 3 weeks or longer if we wrap it in cheese cloth soaked in vinegar and then bagged, or cut it into chuncks, wrap it in twine and then dip in parrafin.

Here is a good new soup we discovered by accident: take PC black bean dip, and rehydrate it in slightly too much hot water in a zip lock. Add to it your dried salsa, so the same rehydration. Mix together (looks gross until you do), and then water down to a thick soup. Spicy and absolutely delicious. A nice accent would be grated cheese, or toasted tortilla pieces.

We normally have the black bean dip and salsa spread on the torillas (and that is good), but on this trip I added too much water. When we pulled it out for an in the boat lunch, we found we had soup. Mixed it in 2 bowl, and we had a delicious lunch. 1 package beans and one 750 ml jar salsa dried would feed 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10th, 2001, 5:50 pm 

That soup sounds wild! How do you dehydrate salsa or better yet wher do buy dehydrated salsa?
Did you freeze the tortillas? how did they last 5 or 6 days?

Thanks

cocteau