View topic - Elk in Algonquin Park

It is currently November 18th, 2019, 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Elk in Algonquin Park
PostPosted: October 8th, 2004, 4:21 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Reading carls' post about elk in Killarney http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... 7268#97268 reminded me the September 2, 2004 issue of The Raven. Apparently, there have been sightings of elk in Algonquin, in 2003 and 2004.

The article goes on to explain the history of the disappearance, re-introductions and subsequent disappearances of elk in Ontario. Nearby re-introductions in Burwash--French River and Bancroft seem to have been successful.

It would certainly be something to add to the "animals we have seen while canoeing" list.

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2004, 11:54 am 

Is there an on-line version of The Raven? I'd be interested in reading the article. I heard that an reintroduction of Elk into Algonquin was attempted many years ago but failed. Having Elk in the park would be a welcome addition. Elk reintroduction efforts in successful in many parks of our countries. One area in particular is in Western Pennsylvania. Pardon the URL, but this site gives the best overview of the Elk, their history, and viewing areas.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view ... 1&q=150286

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2004, 10:37 am 

The article states that there were two attempts at re-introduction of elk in Algonquin Park....first in 1910--1912 and then again in 1935.

The set of twelve 2004 Ravens will be mailed free in the fall to Friends of Algonquin Park members. Mailed also for $2.00 to non-members (cheque/money order to The Friends of Algonquin Park, Box 248, Whitney, Ontario K0J 2M0 or cash at the Visitor centre).

Free sets may be picked up at the Visitor Centre or main gates after September 15.

For information on joining the Friends:
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/friends.html

Barbara

PostPosted: October 11th, 2004, 12:33 pm 

Barbara wrote:
Reading carls' post about elk in Killarney http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... 7268#97268 reminded me the September 2, 2004 issue of The Raven. Apparently, there have been sightings of elk in Algonquin, in 2003 and 2004.

I will not have access to "The Raven" for a while. Did the article say where the sitings were? And how many Elk?

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2004, 6:28 pm 

Hi Barbara. Your post reminded me of seeing an Elk in Bon Echo in July 2003. It was from about 300 meters with binoculars. Long horse face and big ears. No antlers, so it must have been a cow. Stormy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2004, 8:40 am 

This excerpt is from a bancroft tourism website "The Eastern Elk was once indigenous to the North Hastings region, but by the beginning of the 20th Century, they had been extirpated by over harvesting, market hunting and altering of their habitat.
On January 9, 2000, seventy elk from Alberta's Elk Island National Park were released into the woodlands of North Hastings, as part of a province-wide initiative to reintroduce elk. Fifty additional elk from Alberta were released into North Hastings on January 13, 2001. This reintroduction effort was made possible thanks to the partnership and cooperative efforts of many government agencies, conservation groups, businesses, volunteers and funding agencies."

I have a cottage just on the southern border of Algonquin park and when I talk to some of the local hunters ( I DONT HUNT) from Barry's Bay up there they say that the Elk population is doing very well. Its a huge fine if you kill one my mistake as they are protected. Last I heard the populaiton was about 200 animals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2004, 12:05 pm 

Someone told me about 1 1/2 weeks ago that they saw an item on the Barrie channel news about a bear attack. They said that a man and woman were elk hunting and field dressing their kill when they were attacked.

Anyone else hear anything about this? Where did it occur and was it in fact elk hunting or has my friend got the story wrong?

Heard an elk bugling in Killarney PP on Killarney Lake near Norway Lake in 2002. It was pretty neat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2004, 12:37 pm 

Elk Hunting? Must have been a story from out west .... Elk hunting is not permitted in Ontario right now, the hope is to have one in our lifetime, maybe our kids lifetime...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2004, 12:38 pm 

Your friend must have gotten it wrong. They are a protected species. Here is what happens if you acidentally shoot one." This is taken from an Ontario Conservation Officers Website
"PEMBROKE – A Petawawa man has been fined $485.00 for mistakenly shooting an elk – a protected species that is being reintroduced in parts of the province.

David xxxxxxxx, 36, has pleaded guilty under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act to hunting elk during the closed season. Elk are protected and cannot be hunted at any time. In addition to the fine, Heideman paid $500.00 restitution to the Bancroft/North Hastings Elk Restoration Project.

The court was told that Heideman mistakenly shot a cow elk in November 2002, while hunting deer in Brudenell Township near Foymount in Renfrew County. Heideman reported his mistake to a Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) Pembroke District Conservation Officer.

Almost 500 elk have been reintroduced to Ontario since 1998. The estimated cost of replacing one is about $10,000.

Hunters are reminded they must be certain they are shooting at a legal target before they pull the trigger.

Justice of the Peace Nancy Mitchell heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice in Pembroke on January 13, 2002.

The public is asked to protect its natural resources by reporting violations to the local Ministry of Natural Resources or to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2004, 12:52 pm 

I know the articel is a little out of date but if you Check the Ministry of Natural Resouces Website you can find out there that its against the law to shoot Elk in Ontario at anytime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2004, 4:37 pm 

According to the Raven of September 2, 2004, the sightings were as follows:
1.) September 20, 2003 near the East Gate
2.) October 20, 2003 north of Brule Lake
3.) October 21, 2003 in the "panhandle"
4.) October 23, 2003 someone heard the bugling of an elk
5.) at least 2 sightings this year

There is no mention of numbers.

From the sounds of things, it seems that the re-introduced herd in the Bancroft area are doing the tourist thing and checking out Algonquin.

I still have a "critter list" to be fulfilled and am now adding elk to it.

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2004, 9:54 pm 

From what i understand, Elk exist in the panhandle area of the park. Many of the gated cadge roads leading into Algonquin in this area are signed to this effect. I don't know however if this is a result of herd introduction in this area or migration from surrounding areas

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 9:29 am 

Please read the Raven issue in question.
It is the brainworm that may decide the elk's fate.
As white tiled deer dissappaerfrom moose/ elk range they more of a chnace to survive (brainworm passed in the deer feces to moose and elk is deadly to them but not to the deer).

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 8:16 pm 

Long slumbery hibernation on the topic, but I saw signs of a recent visit by an elk herd 1km outside of the park near North Tea Lake this past weekend.

Anyone else seen an elk in Algonquin?

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 5:20 am 

Stajanleafs wrote:
Long slumbery hibernation on the topic, but I saw signs of a recent visit by an elk herd 1km outside of the park near North Tea Lake this past weekend.

Anyone else seen an elk in Algonquin?

Wow! Which part of North Tea Lake?